I’m finally done with summer, I’m off work for a week, and all I have to do today is shop, get a pedicure, and pack for Orlando…
AND I WAS AWAKE AT 6:15 AM!
Hopefully Michelle Tanner can help me fall back asleep for a couple hours until I need to get up and check in for my flight tomorrow.
So last night, I stayed out here in one of our older retreat centers. I was super tired, and so excited to sleep.
I get to my room, and the AC is a little funky. Super loud, and it was almost humid, which was weird. Fell asleep around 10:45, and was up promptly at midnight to go to the bathroom (what’s new).
Then I tossed and turned ALL night long. I could not get comfortable, no matter how many pillows I had, my room was getting hotter and hotter, and the bed was like sleeping on a concrete slab.
I might be a princess and drive back to Omaha tonight to sleep in my own bed. There, I have my body pillow, and all of my other pillows just the way I like them for a good night’s rest. The bigger my belly gets, the harder it is to find comfort at night. So even though I have to be back out here at 6:50 AM, I think I’ll be driving home home tonight and tomorrow night just so I can sleep. Because nobody likes a zombie Kelsey.
In other news: FRIDAY!
That right there is a picture of a lady who just said goodbye to the LAST WEEK OF CAMPERS THIS SUMMER!!!!
Now, only one day of manual labor, one day of a giant fundraiser, a half a day of saying goodbye to my staff, and then I’m REALLY done for the summer!
- I just started laughing out loud at myself as I was devouring a Sweet & Salty Jones Bros cupcake just now, because I realized I was literally shoveling it in my mouth without even chewing what I already had. Omg.
- Starting tomorrow, I’m living out here at work again for about 4 days to close up the camp season. Monday is so close I can taste it…eyes on the prize.
- I’ve seen a few Facebook posts about this [new?] Younique Makeup product line… My guess is it’s just a fancier Mary Kay business type model thing, but I totally got sucked into buying their 3D Fiberlash Mascara. An old college acquaintance was having an online Facebook party, and I kept seeing the before & after photos of people that bought it. After about 5 days of going back & forth with myself over $29 mascara, I thought I’d give it a shot. I’m heading to Miss America’s Outstanding Teen, and this [hopefully] will be way easier than applying fake lashes each night. I’ll let you know what I think.
- I’m about to order 22 pizzas for my staff on Saturday. I hope I don’t get fired for spending hundreds of dollars….
- I ordered a maternity cocktail dress online on Tuesday and am praying with every ounce of my being that it’s shipped to the department store before I leave for Orlando next Tuesday morning. If it doesn’t come on time, I have nothing to wear to MAOTeen that week.
- Last night, after eating all sorts of deliciousness, Baby E was moving around like crazy. Chris even felt his first baby kick to the hand! I’ve been feeling baby on the inside for a while now, but it was so cool to have Chris actually feel baby move, too!
Halfway there! Happy Wednesday, folks.
I have 3 surprises for you and they all involve food.
Email from my husband today
Sweet Lord, I love that man.
Turns out he ran to the store over lunch…I came home to my latest craving and favorite party food, Fritos scoops & Hiland’s Sassy Salsa (really healthy, I know..) AND he’s got supper and dessert planned.
A big dark cloud…
Yesterday was a really bad day for me. My job is super stressful in the summer, and while I hate that I even think this - I can’t wait for this summer to be over.
I spend so much of the off season telling people what a great experience camp is for their children - how they grow in their independence, learn how to get along with their peers in a safe environment, experience new & exciting things in a faith community, develop long lasting friendships, learn from college age role models, etc, etc. And while I wholeheartedly believe in all of that, I still am ready for this summer to be over.
In my role, I’m completely in charge of everything that happens during summer camp, so I get to deal with all of the bad things - unhappy parents, bad kids, staff that aren’t doing their job. And it weighs me down, big time. Summer becomes this huge dark cloud above my head, and I just sit there, waiting for lightening to strike….again. I dread answering my office phone, not knowing if it’s a parent who’s ready to yell at me, or someone who wants to book me to speak at their church already this fall. I have officially come to the point in my summer where I have hit the wall. I am ready for campers to go home, I’m ready for my counselors to return to college, and I’m ready to not be solely focused on the negative things that happen here. I’m ready to breathe a little bit, and not be afraid to answer my phone. I’m just ready to be done.
The three people in my position before me lasted 2 years each, before they decided this job wasn’t for them and they had to move on. This is my second summer. And I can totally see how burnout happens.
While I am not even close to thinking about moving on from this job (I really do love it!), I am ready for these 10 weeks of summer to be over. I’m ready for the dark cloud to go away, so the sun can shine and I can be renewed and able to refocus on a new summer (with new challenges) next year.
Thanks for joining my pity party of 1 over my lunch period.
Sibling bonding time! 👶💚🐶
Were you out for a long run this morning?
Says the elderly male volunteer at my work upon seeing me walk in the office this morning.
No, silly silly man, I did not go for a run.
1) I don’t run.
2) I haven’t showered in 2 days.
3) It’s going to be a million degrees today so gym shorts and one of my only t-shirts that still fits over my belly was my only sane option.
4) Did I mention I don’t run?
You bet I will, Dove.
Today marks the beginning of the LAST week of campers here at the camp I’m the director at. It has been an insanely stressful few weeks, with almost 300 kids on site each week, dealing with crazy kids (and even crazier parents), and making sure all of my staff are doing their job - so this little note from Dove was needed.
While I am longing for the end of this camp season, I also find it a little sad. I get so used to having my college age summer staff around all the time, and then suddenly, they are all gone. Back to college they go. It gets so quiet without them here!
But I am looking forward to normal 8-5, M-F hours again, having my weekends back, seeing my husband more often, and actually having time to think about my pregnancy and start crossing things off the list!
In 8 minutes, the doors open up to welcome in our next set of campers, and in 4 and a half days, our doors will be closing behind them as they head home. Here we go, Week 8! Let’s do this!
Had an awesome time celebrating @morganholen at her Miss America Outstanding Teen send off party last night! I can’t wait to watch this young lady rock that national stage in just over a week! Orlando, here we come! #loveher #iwanttobelikeherwhenigrowup